Removing a DUI on your record

Criminal records containing a charge of driving under the influence (DUI, for short) can cause personal difficulties. This will make it difficult to obtain a job that requires driving. You’ll have to inform employers, state and federal agencies has declared you guilty of a crime. You can avoid this embarrassment by getting clear your DUI, also known as elimination of criminal record sealed or dismissal. Each state has its own terminology, procedures and standards for the elimination of a slightly different criminal record.


  1. Investigates how to obtain criminal records of the state in which you were convicted. Visit the websites of the state government to know where you keep your records and how to apply. Most states use a Department of Justice, Secretary of the Superior Court or a branch of law enforcement to preserve records.
  2. Request a copy of your criminal record. Each state will allow the offender to obtain a copy of his criminal record, in person or by mail, for a fee. The state may request fingerprints to a local police station to check your identity.
  3. Watch your criminal record and locate the DUI conviction. Some states, like Massachusetts, a DUI for the first time will remain without evidence, so that the sentence will not be on your record. Make sure your DUI is on your criminal record before proceeding.
  4. Search cancellation instructions on the website of the state government. Read the instructions to see if your offense is eligible. Some states, such as Oregon, cannot remove DUI convictions, and other states do not allow eliminate felonies, violent crimes or offenses involving a child.
  5. Read the instructions to see if you qualify for cancellation. Most states need to pass some time the date of the sentence, the term of probation or termination of imprisonment, before a request may arise.
  6. Gather the necessary documents specified in the instructions. You may need to contact your local superior court clerk to find out exactly what documents you need. They may include proof of payment of the fines, the end of your term of imprisonment or a term of probation.
  7. Fill out the application completely in blue or black ink. Answer all questions truthfully.
  8. Submit your application properly. Some states allow you to send a request, while others require you to deliver in person in the court of the conviction. Pay the applicable fee.
  9. Waits for a response from the government. The request will likely be heard by a judge in a closed hearing. You cannot attend the hearing.